A Letter to the Invisible Ones

Dear Single Parent,

I see you. I see the frantic pace you constantly keep. I see the times you've counted change for milk, gone to bed hungry so your kids could eat, driven on fumes in a falling apart car, and tried to stay positive when all seems hopeless. I see the things behind the scenes, how you've constantly sought out help, scholarships, public assistance and all the other ways you've laid your heart and soul on the altar of humiliation and hope. 
I see you. I see you try to cover the dark circles under your eyes, as sleep once again alludes you. I see your fatigue as you try desperately to cover the role of two parents. I also see the loneliness. I see you build your kids up and tirelessly cheer them on. 

Dear Elderly,

I see you. I see the dignity you've lost as you lie in your bed all day every day under a cloud of medically induced rest. I see the 6' x 8' space, where you reside. I see the old cork board filled with faded Birthday and Christmas cards and family photos. I see your loneliness as all the years you gave to family, to church, to loved ones, has been reduced to ( hopefully ) a holiday visit by a handful. I see the faraway looks you get when you're awake for a few moments. You speak of others that are waiting for you and you speak of things long forgotten. You fought for your country, you fought for your worth, now to be reduced to an existence of runny tasteless meals and medications.

Dear Teenager,

I see you. I see the laughter and the smiles, you give all your friends. I see the destiny I have for you. but you don't accept. I see the sadness of betrayal and of hurt. I see your gentle heart that was cast aside in the detritus of  someone else's selfishness. I see your anxiety to fit in, your hatred of your body, your comparison to others. I see your soul struggling to tread in the waters of depression. I see your silent cry for help. 

Dear Chronic Illness Sufferer,

I see you. I see the pain ravaging your body although you look absolutely fine outwardly. I see the sleepless nights, the side effects of all the medications. I see the isolation and the avoidance. I hear the rumors and the attacks on your character. I see every single day when you bravely keep going, I see the days when you want so badly to stay in bed, but there is too much to be done and you're the only one who can tackle that list. I see the loneliness and the hurt caused by rejection. I see the tedious appointments and prescriptions and tests and questions and all the stress it causes and adds to an already emotionally full plate. 

Dear Homeless Veteran,

I see you. I see you as that young hopeful man who fought for his country and marched with pride through the streets of home, and the jungles, deserts and villages of foreign lands. I see your rejection and your hopelessness. I see the cold nights and the hot days of no relief. I see your calloused, dirty hands that once held hope and purpose. As you hold your cardboard sign and, hopefully hold the glance of the passersby, you also hold the humiliation of desperation; I see you. 

Dear Overeaters,

I see you. I see you try to comfort yourself with food and with the temporary euphoria it sends to your taste buds. I see the nights you cry and the days you can't find things to wear. I see the emotional upheaval this lifestyle has brought you. I see the judgment from others that you pretend doesn't hurt you. Then the terrible cycle continues, as your despair over your weight is "medicated" with more food. I see what hurt you and what has caused it all.

Dear You,

I see you. I see every single part of you that hurts, that hopes, that aches for love. I see the hurt caused by others and by yourself. I see the dreams you've suppressed and the dreams that have been trampled. I see every single time you've been ignored, or rejected. I see your hopes and all that you think can never happen, because it's "too late." 

I see you all, because I made you and I know the plans I have for you, to give a future and a hope. I know right now, it makes no sense. As your creator, I will never condone the act of throwing others away. It breaks my heart. I heard your first heart beat. I was there. I was there when you were first formed, when you took your vows, when you blew out the candles, when you rode a two wheeler, when you had your first kiss, when you had your first baby, when your had your first everything. I have seen it all and I have been your biggest fan. 
I can't force others to do the right thing, because real love doesn't force. Real love gives choice. I can't make others see you, but I can promise you this: 

You are not invisible to me. I will give you peace. I will give my joy. I will make a way when there is no way. I will cause mercy and grace to cover you. I will give you rest, I will reward your obedience. I will never leave you or forsake you. When others reject you, I will embrace you. I will never forget the days you've had faith, when all seemed lost. I will never forget the times you cried out to me, when others cursed me. I will be there, when you take your last breath. I will walk with you in the cool of the day and the light of eternity. I have always seen you and will always see you. You have never been invisible to me, and will never be. 


Love always, 

The One Who Always Sees 


Comments

Popular Posts