Growing Pains

For many years now, I have seen the slow decline in the health of a bright pink azalea bush. It was the first thing one would notice as he/she drove by or pulled into the driveway. 


Spring's arrival was heralded by its vibrant color. There were two other azaleas in the front flower beds, but this one was the show stopper. 

However, the last few years have brought less blossoms and what appears to be disease ridden leaves and branches. I read several guides on feeding the soil and on pruning maintenance, but one article cleared up the problem for me.

This article on indigenous North Carolina shrubs and plants, stated that in extreme weather conditions of multiple days of extreme temperatures in conjunction with multiple days of wet conditions, the plant would, at best only live 30-40 years. Considering, that is exactly the description of North Carolina Summers, and the fact the house I rent is at least 60 years old....I think we have discovered the issues: Dry Rot. 

Sure, there were a few blossoms, and leaves, but nothing like the first few years of living here.

So, a few weeks ago, as I once again tried to save this bush, by cutting away some rotten branches, and clearing away some wandering ivy, an entire section of limb broke off clear to the thick trunk and roots. It actually fell away in a dusty, hollow pile. It was done. There was no more salvaging of this azalea. I was cleaning around it, because at the time, I was also planting new things in the same flower bed. But, now, I had to make the call. I had to go ahead and cut down/pull up what was left of this suffering, beaten up, diseased azalea. It was time. 

Remarkably, it didn't take too long. However, some roots were so deep, even though there were no more surface branches, what was hidden underground was not ready to come out, no matter how hard I dug or pulled. I even broke my shovel. 

I continued planting new things, a few seeds, a few potted plants and then laid down mulch. Now, there is no trace of what was there. The mulch covers the few little traces of what was once a glorious spectacle of fuchsia and pink. 

Anyone driving by would never know what was once there, for those newly planted flowers are taking their jobs seriously and are blooming, rooting, and growing. What "was" is only seen in pictures, although the roots are still there, under the mulch. 

This whole scenario has stuck with me over the last few weeks. I don't think it's an accident that so many of the lessons God has been teaching me, have occurred in and around my little house. ( see previous posts: "Planting in Borrowed Soil" and others ) I spend a lot of time talking to God while mowing and gardening.  I have felt at times, like He couldn't hear me over the noise of the mower....we've all been there. And the last year has felt,  like a constant one way conversation. It has been a time of my holding on to the familiar, the expected and of course the hope that if I tried one. more. thing....maybe, just maybe I would bloom again. 

If I cut this thing out, then I will survive. 
If I try this new way of doing things, I will be fine.
If I keep holding on, and keep holding on, and keep holding on.....then, something will change. It can all be salvaged, surely. 

Finally, just like that I have had to really make the decision that it's time to prune, all the way to the roots. There are some decisions, mindsets, dreams and even some relationships I have had to cut away. The good news? There are roots of good memories and of grace. There were seasons where these mindsets and environments worked. I was blooming in that time frame, for those purposes and with those relationships. but the time has changed drastically. It's the same principle as putting new wine into old wine skins. It won't work. They will burst and both the new wine, and the old skins are useless. 


Matthew 9:17
Neither do men pour new wine into old wineskins. If they do, the skins will burst, the wine will spill, and the wineskins will be ruined. Instead, they pour new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved."


The same concept is found here: 
Mark 2:22
No one sews a patch of unshrunk cloth on an old garment. If he does, the new piece will pull away from the old, and a worse tear will result.

Tonight, when I get home, that azalea will not have magically grown back. At the same time, no matter how big the new plants get, there will still be remnants of what once was growing there, under the mulch. Those old wine skins once served a purpose. That old garment once served me well. 

Oh my, but it is time for the new. Today is serving as a bit of internal gardening. I am cleaning my life out, and anything that is no longer working, blooming, creating purpose...thanks for all you've done, but it's time for new plantings. It's time for new ground cover and I am excited to see what's waiting. Grow baby grow. 

Comments

Popular Posts